Welcome to Good Sam UMC
We are glad you came to our web site to visit us. We are a multicultural congregation near Homestead & Wolfe Roads in Cupertino, CA. with a passion to build and grow Jesus' disciples. You can find us next to Ranch 99 and Starbucks. Contact us if you have any questions or prayer concerns. The drop-down menu above provides links to information about GSUMC.
Our English Worship is at 9:00 AM most Sundays, and our Mandarin worship is at 11:00 am. See the menu item "Our Ministries" for more information on everything we do. If you are new to our congregation, please see our welcome page in the Connect menu.
To foster the process of transformation in Christ in one another through the practice of the Centering Prayer
Centering Prayer is a receptive method of silent prayer that prepares us to receive the gift of contemplative prayer, prayer in which we experience God's presence within us, closer than breathing, closer than thinking, closer than consciousness itself. This method of prayer is both a relationship with God and a discipline to foster that relationship.
Centering Prayer is not meant to replace other kinds of prayer. Rather, it adds depth of meaning to all prayer and facilitates the movement from more active modes of prayer - verbal, mental or affective prayer - into a receptive prayer of resting in God. Centering Prayer emphasizes prayer as a personal relationship with God and as a movement beyond conversation with Christ to communion with Christ. To learn more, please follow this link, Contemplative Outreach Ltd.
Coming soon at the Good Samaritan UMC, a centering prayer time on Thursday early evenings. Ask Barbara Christmann for more details.
News and Events
- 2/25 Race & Justice Conversation–9:30am–12:30pm
- 3/1 Ash Wednesday – 7 pm
- 3/11 Readiness 360 summit – 9 am – 3:30 pm
- 3/17-18 Bishop’s Confirmation Retreat – Monte Toyon
- 4/9 Palm Sunday Worship – 9 am & 11 am
- 4/13 Maundy Thursday Service – 7 pm
- 4/14 Good Friday Service – 7 pm
- 4/14-16 36- Hour Prayer Vigil
- 4/16 Easter Sunday worship – 9 am & 11 am
- 4/23 2017 South Bay CROP Walk – 1 pm
The week of February 19th
Good Samaritan UMC Hosts Race & Justice Conversations
Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 9 :30 am to 12:30 p.m.
This event is sponsored by the Cabinet for the El Camino Real district. It will be facilitated by Rev. Sun Hee Kim and Rev. Dale Weatherspoon. It is a meaningful time of reflection and conversation as a Christian community to actively and proactively address issues of race and justice. The morning will be filled with participatory engagement that will empower all of us to build God’s beloved community and be change-makers in the world. This event is free of charge but registration is required. Please visit https://calnev-reg.brtapp.com/racejusticeconversation2017 to register.
Readiness 360 All Church Summit
Save the Date Saturday, March 11, 2017
9 am to 3:30 p.m. Campbell UMC
We will gather to be the church, discerning God’s direction for the Good Samaritan UMC’s future. Please save the date and be there with our whole church for this important time in the life of our church. Please check your name on the circulating form; or contact Helen Kung at the church office 408-253-0751 to RSVP.
The top 10 reasons WHY we need you and your collective energy at the Spiritual Summit.
10. We are going to the Campbell UMC so that we might look at planning from a new or different perspective. Away from our normal routine and environment.
9. We want everyone to come; our Youth to our Seniors, long-time friends and members and those of you who have recently joined. If you need a ride, let us know and we can provide one.
8. Likewise, if you need childcare, we will provide that too.
7. Lunch and snacks will be provided throughout the day. If you have a special dietary need, let us know.
6. It will be a chance to bond with others, share experiences and learn the gifts that make up this body of Christ.
5. A sacrifice, that highly valued gift of time. We know everyone has obligations but we need your vision and your voice as to where Good Sam is heading in the next 5 years.
4. This process began 6 months ago and during this time, the Summit Team has learned some tools to share w/you and how to help us with visioning and implementing an Action Plan for our future.
3. This is a Spiritual Summit, not just another workshop. We are listening for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to be bold and inspired. Let’s discern together where God might lead us.
2. All our meetings have been undergirded by prayer and we now ask you, to also join with us by prayerfully consider responding as a people of faith, by coming to Campbell UMC on March 11.
1. What is your priority? Etc…
Be Part of the Team to Transition the Good Samaritan Immigrant Ministry
In the past 15 years, Good Samaritan UMC has built one of the most successful ministries assisting immigrants with English classes and helping people prepare for their Citizenship interview. More than 1,400 people have become new citizens through Good Sam’s instructional classes and mock interviews. Every year more than 30 volunteers help teach immigrants to learn English and become citizens. Good Sam has become so famous, people come from as far as Gilroy and Alameda, some taking 3 hours on public transportation to participate in the classes.
Due to change in immigration policy, America’s general attitude towards immigrants and economical changes in the home countries, the Good Sam Citizenship Class has less demand now. But the needs in the immigrant/ new citizen community is still enormous. If you are inspired to put your efforts in immigration issues in our local area, please be a part of a team planning new ministries at Good Sam to assist this fragile community. Contact Helen Kung 408-910-2157 or Patty Groves 408-973-8788 to let us know that you are willing to be part of the brainstorming team that directs the next steps of our immigrant ministries.
Spring Reflective Retreat for Woman
Junk Yard Dogs Jr Getaway 2017 4th-6th Graders
Mount Hermon @ March 17-19, 2017
Spring is a time when nature begins to come alive. Plants begins to put down deeper roots to support the new growth. The Mount Hermon reflective retreats offer time and space to stop, to pay attention and to listen for the still, small voices of God.
4th to 6th graders can be nearby enjoying a full-throttle weekend. They will make new friends and be immersed in the life—transforming Truth of God’s love. This will be all the thrills of a summer week wrapped into a weekend! Go to mounthermon.org or call 8880.642.2677 to register. Informational brochure/ postcard copy is available on the entrance table in the Sanctuary.
Lenten Devotional Booklet
Will be available next Sunday, February 26th
It’s a 30- year tradition of the Good Samaritan UMC to have worshippers in our community write a devotional reflection, and collectively study a Gospel. This year we will be reading Luke together daily, and reflect alongside about 40 of our peers during the Lenten season. Please pick up your booklet either in the Sanctuary on Sunday, February 26th or on Ash Wednesday, March 1st.
Ash Wednesday Reflective Worship
Wednesday, March 1st 7-9 p.m.
“From Selfishness to Self-Awareness to Selflessness”
We are called by God to reflect the building of the kingdom of heaven on earth, and we are called to start by reflecting within ourselves. This Ash Wednesday, come mark the beginning of Lent with a reflective worship service.
Circuit Lenten Series “Let Justice Roll”
Tuesday Nights at Rotating Churches
3/7, 3/13, 3/21, 3/28 and 4/4
(Location and Speakers scheduled to be confirmed)
Dinner is served before the speaker at each church
We will be talking about immigration, recognizing and addressing unconscious bias, Islamic issues, 12-step Process of unlearning racism (hosted by Good Sam), women’s march participants panel discussion. Please reserve your nights for this exciting circuit study series.